13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles attached to 108th Company, Machine Gun Corps
He was the son of Samuel Cleland Davidson, of Seacourt, Bangor, Co. Down. James attended CCB in September 1894 with his younger brother Richard Frederick Davidson (OC 46). Richard died three years later in February 1897.
On leaving Campbell in the mid-1890s, James became a director and General Manager of his father's engineering company, Davidson and Co., also known as the Sirocco Engineering Works. In 1898, he travelled to the Mediterranean and the Black sea. In 1913, he became an active member of the Ulster Volunteer Force, joining the 1st Battalion, North Down Volunteers based in Bangor.
On the outbreak of the Great War, this unit formed the recruiting base for 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles. James was commissioned into this unit and was promoted to Captain in May 1915. He was killed in action on 1st July 1916 whilst serving with the 108th Company, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry), 36th Ulster Division, in the attack on the Thiepval on the opening day of the Battle of the Somme.
He is buried in Serre Road Cemetery No.2. His grave inscription reads "Son of Samuel Clelland Davidson of Seacourt Bangor Co Down." James had been engaged to a neighbour, Miss Eileen Rogers of Innisfail and his death meant that the Davidson name died out.
Send us your own memories, stories and images to help grow the project.